Tuesday, December 1, 2015

How He Killed His Best Friend Chapter Two



CHAPTER TWO: DAUGHTER OF EVE.

Kennedy momentarily forgot his family problems when he arrived at Ifeanyi”s hostel. It was a single row of six self-contained rooms somewhere in Ifite. The minute he stepped into the room, a familiar female figure screamed gleefully and jumped on him. They laughed as they held each other. Behind them, Ifeanyi sat smiling.
                The girl was Adaora, Ifeanyi’s kid sister, fresh out of secondary school, looking all cute and innocent in her relaxed and styled low cut hair. She smelled of Fantasy spray, sweet and flowery.
                “I thought you wouldn’t come”, she said.
                “My love, how could I not when you’re here?”
                The three laughed. Kenned had always called her his love but in an innocent way. Back when she was little, they had kidded he would marry her.
                “Guy, how far?” Ifeanyi asked and shook Kennedy’s hand as they released each other.
                “I had to change my mind”, Kennedy said. “We’ll gist later.”
                “What did you bring for me?” Adaora asked, instantly going through his knapsack.
                “Relax first”, Kennedy said jokingly.
                Ifeanyi laughed. “You see what you wanted me to suffer alone?”
                Adaora screamed in glee as she found a pack of juice and exotic biscuits. “This is better than the mama put this one took me to!”
                Ifeanyi said to Kennedy, “Thank God you’re now here. At least I can read in peace.”
                “See this one oh. If you like, keep reading. What I know is that I’m now out of secondary school and I plan to enjoy my holiday here.”
                “So that’s why you want to spoil my own?”
                Kennedy said, “Don’t worry bro, I’m here. I’ll keep her off you till you’re done.”
                “You better do”, Ifeanyi said.
                “Hmmm, you’ll take me out oh”, Adaora faced Kennedy, “Give me fun and not treat me like a small girl. You’ll take me to the places you take your girlfriends.”
                “We don’t have boyfriends”, the boys said in unison.
                “Story”, Adaora said mockingly. “In this Awka filled with girls.”
                “Okay. I won’t be having this talk with my small sis.”
                “You see his problem? He thinks I’m still a baby.”
                Kennedy watched this interplay. He wished he had a sister, someone he could play with, talk to, and banter with. He felt alone now. But if he knew what was in store for him, he would appreciate the lonesomeness. In fact, a week later, when he would be in prison, Kennedy would think of this day and regret the choice he had made.



It all started the next day. Ifeanyi had gone to school. Kennedy decided to take a morning nap. He hadn’t slept much the previous night. He had taken Adaora out for ice cream and shawarma. He had found it difficult to sleep. Mom had called to tell him she was at his aunt’s. Dad had called to find out where he was. He was unaware that Kennedy had witnessed the events of the day.
                The ringing of his phone woke him from his nap. Keened reached out and answered it.
                “Hello dear”, he said. It was Sylvia, his on and off girlfriend.
                “Sweets, what’s up? When are you coming?” She asked.
                The bathroom door opened and Adaora walked into the room, dressed in her underwear, fresh from the shower. She smiled innocently at Kennedy.
                “Can I call you back?” Kennedy asked.
                “Okay. I’m waiting.”
                Kennedy hung up. Adaora sat at the desk and picked her cream, unashamedly facing him. Kennedy seemed surprised. She was just there; nearly naked like it was a normal thing.
                “What are you doing?” He queried sternly.
                “Rubbing cream”, she answered innocently.
                “Naked? In front of me? Oya run to the bathroom and dress up”, he said jokingly.
                “Why? It’s not as if you’ve not seen me naked before.”
                “You were a baby then. That’s different.”
                “So now I tempt you?”
                Kennedy made a face. “No you can’t tempt me. You’re like my baby sister.”
                She frowned. “I’m not your sister and I’m not a baby.”
                “I didn’t say you were. I said you’re like one. Now please go to the bathroom before I go blind…sister.”
                She hissed, looking upset. Kennedy looked away as she picked her clothes and walked dejectedly back to the bathroom.



“So what are we doing today?  
She dived on the bed, snuggling up next to him. She had dressed in bum shorts and a cleavage revealing singlet. The smell of Fantasy hung in the room.
“First I shower then visit a friend. After that…”
“What friend?”
“One girl like that.”
“A girl. Your girlfriend?”
“Not really.”
“What then?”
The questions now alarmed Kennedy. Why the persistence? Why the harsh tone? Nut he waved it off. She was probably being her inquisitive self.
“Just a good friend, that’s all”, he answered.
“I hope so but I don’t believe you. Boys can’t be just friends with girls.”
“And why do you think that?”
“Because boys will always want sex.”
Kennedy frowned. He wouldn’t want to discuss sex with his best friend’s kid sister. The girl was obviously too exposed. Well in these days of 2go, BBM, Facebook, Whatsapp and Nairaland, what teenager wasn’t exposed? Also there was this belief about girls raised in Port Harcourt.
Cautiously he lied, “Well in this case, you’re wrong. Anyway, what do you know about relationships? Aren’t you too young?”
“Stop telling me that. I’m not a baby.”
Kennedy laughed.
“Besides”, she continued, “even if you treat girls as just friends, they may not take you the same way. You’re beautiful. I’m sure all the girls will be dying for you. That’s why you’re doing all these.”
“What am I doing?”
“Toying with a girl’s heart.”
Kennedy decided it was enough. He merely laughed, extracted himself from her hold and rose up. He said, “Time to go.”
“So you want to leave me all alone”, she said, disappointed.
“Don’t worry”, he assured, “Ifeanyi will soon be back.”

He left for the bathroom.

Kennedy bathed and dressed in the bathroom. When he stepped out, he met an empty room. It didn’t bother him. She was probably out strolling. He picked his phone and called Sylvia to confirm he was coming. He looked forward to seeing her. Anything that would take his mind off things was welcomed.
He usually enjoyed his dates with her. She was not demanding of either money or attention. She would usually cook for him. She was a good cook. Food was washed down with cocktail – mostly a mix of Red Label and Fanta. Tipsy and filled, they’d have sex for hours. Like him, she was from a rich family, or so she claimed. She always wore expensive clothes, cooked great meals and kept an endless supply of drinks. Either she had rich parents or rich boyfriends. Well, whichever the case, he didn’t care. 
 Kennedy put on his shoes and a wrist watch, sprayed a perfume and stepped out.



Adaora was seated in front of Obiora’s room. Obiora was Ifeanyi’s notorious, rough neighbour. Rough because he smoked weed and cigarettes a lot, drank beer a little too much, was brash and rude. Many South western nairalanders would call him they typical Igbo chest beater. Notorious because he chased girls a lot, especially secondary school girls, street girls and house maids. He was also rumoured to be a cultist.
            Kennedy felt alarmed the moment he saw them. Obiora could charm his way easily into a girl’s pants. He was ruggedly handsome and dangerous looking. He flaunted his bad boy ways freely for girls and they liked him for that. At this particular moment, to Kennedy’s disgust, he was freely smoking and engaging Adaora in tales of his adventurous escapades. 
 “Ada”, Kennedy called.   
 The two looked at him. Obiora gave Kennedy a thumb up sign. Kennedy waved. Adaora came over.
 “Oh you’re off to see your girlfriend?”
             Kennedy failed to notice the hint of jealousy in her voice. “What are you doing with him?”
“Well, since you’re leaving me, I needed someone to talk to.”
“Not him.”
            “Why?” She asked mischievously. “Are you jealous?”
Kennedy frowned and pulled her into the room. He held her by the shoulders. “Stop this jealousy thing. That guy is very notorious and you shouldn’t be around him. Ifeanyi will be angry if he hears him.”
“But I’ll be bored alone.” She pouted.
“Watch a movie. If they take the light, switch on the generator.”
“While you’re off doing God knows what with your girlfriend?”
Kennedy muttered under his breath. “I’m not doing anything and I won’t stay long. Please, just stay inside.”
There was a long moment of silence. The girl pouted stubbornly. Kennedy felt a great urge to spank her thoroughly until she behaved.
“Okay”, she finally said. “But if I wait and I don’t see you, I’ll go.”
“Fair enough.” Kennedy released her. “What should I get you on my way back?”
Adaora smiled. “Just come back and be with me.”
Kennedy frowned. The sentence could have been innocent but he was sure there was an underlying sexual tone to it. Still he ignored it. He was probably over-thinking.
“Okay, I will”, he said. “Later.”
Adaora smiled. Kennedy left.
In the compound, he met Obiora smoking his third cigarette.
“Keno! What’s up?” He extended his hand. Kennedy shook it.
“I dey”, Kennedy replied coolly.
“You no tell me say Ifeanyi get correct sis. The babe cute oh.”
Kennedy stopped and stared coolly at him. “She’s a small girl. Leave her alone.”
“Small? Girl wey dey like that?” Obiora laughed.
“You know if you try it, Ifeanyi will kill you. And I’ll help him.”
There was a brief moment of silence then Obiora burst out laughing. Kennedy left in anger. As he stepped out of the gate, he could still hear him laughing. Kennedy stopped.
He knew Obiora would never heed his warning. They guy lived without a care in the world and he had done bad things. Molesting teenagers was nothing to him. Kennedy thought it would be easy for Adaora to fall into his trap and he feared the thought of Obiora naked and sweaty on top of her.
Kennedy felt angered. It wouldn’t be wise to leave her alone. He could postpone his rendezvous with Sylvia until Ifeanyi returned. He sighed and walked back into the compound.
  
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment